Showing posts with label semi-open adoption. Show all posts
Showing posts with label semi-open adoption. Show all posts

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Waiting for court...

Sometimes it feels like this foster care journey is a lot about waiting for certain dates. Waiting for court hearings, waiting for the visit from the social worker each month. Waiting for news, waiting to attend meetings. It is never ending. Sometimes, once the day arrives, you think-this is the day! The day I will find out something! Then, after sitting for hours in a court room, listening to 40 other cases, you go home with no new information. Then you find out the next so called "important" hearing is a few months down the road, and you wait, anticipating that date, with some hope that once again, you will learn something. Possibly the fate of the baby you have been caring for and love so much, possibly an answer to prayer.

Then, that date arrives, and you find out the hearing is postponed, or the attorney decided they weren't ready, or some other odd situation disrupts the plan. And...once again, you wait.

Right now I am greatly anticipating a court date in about 3 weeks. The SW felt this was not an important hearing, but the GAL/CASA has told me otherwise. I am praying this date will give us some substantial news about baby L. I have also been told that I may hear something before then.

Now,  there is the visit from the social worker for baby C tomorrow. He said he's bringing information about an open adoption. This makes no sense to me, since these parents are fighters. They are not doing the plan asked of them, but they don't seem like the type that would allow an open adoption at this point. So, I hope I do find out more after meeting with him. Usually I don't, and it turns out to be general information, but I can hope it is something a bit more serious.

Waiting, hoping, praying.  Thanking the Lord it is ALL in His hands.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Open Adoption

We have now been asked by the social worker of each of our foster babies about open adoption. They both wanted to double check with us again if we are still willing to adopt both of them, and they wanted to know what terms we would want in an open adoption.

Both situations are very different. Baby L has a young mother, and no father involved. She has shown interest in the past but currently is not and is not following her plan.
Baby C has both parents, who are together, but failing to follow through with any services, and her case is heading in the adoption direction as well.

The attorney's for these parents are suggesting that they relinquish their child. At that point, they will be legally free, and the adoption process can start. If they relinquish, they have a chance at the open, or semi-open adoption, therefore, remaining in contact with their child. Another reason a relinquishment is better for the parents is because, if they bring another child into the world, the state will again go through the process of providing them with the option to engage in services, and become healthy enough to parent their child. If they do not relinquish, then I am told the termination of parental rights trial is held, the parents lose their rights, and have no option of an open adoption or ever seeing their child again.

I have learned a lot about this process over the last year. I am starting to see a bit of light at the end of this long, long, very long tunnel!

Hopefully we will hear an update soon on whether or not the parents of both are willing to make a relinquishment/open adoption plan!