Sunday, November 29, 2009

A new Christmas tradition...

This year we started a new family tradition for Christmas. We are celebrating Advent, and using an advent wreath. Each Sunday before Christmas we will light one of the candles, and the middle one will be lit on Christmas eve, along with all the others. I used the idea to decorate the wreath from The Homespun Heart blog. We cut strips from Christmas fabric and tied on the wreath, and we will be adding little tags stamped with words that remind us of Christmas such as Jesus, hope, holy, savior, etc.

This is the book we are using to guide us through each day. I love it! It is very simple, and each Sunday it gives you everything you need to lead a family devotion. It starts with an opening scripture and song. Today's was Isaiah 9:2-6, and Away in a Manger. There is then a story to be read, a family activity to carry out, a prayer, and closing song. It went so well, and the girls loved it!! There is also a scripture reading for each day of the week leading up to Christmas if you choose to do that.

This is going to be the beginning of a cherished family tradition, and it is something that I have been wanting to get started for quite few years, so I am very happy to have finally gotten it together for this year. It is something that has been missing from our Christmas and really pulls everything together for us, and teaches our children what the true meaning of Christmas really is.

We have a few other family traditions that we enjoy each Christmas season, and I will be sharing them in the days to come. What special family tradition/s do you do each Christmas?

3 comments:

jeanette said...

oh Michelle! I'm so glad you posted this!! I've been wanting our family to do something like this and was just thinking last night "now how do I get started?! I need to make a wreath...we need a devotional.....". Thanks for sharing this. :)

Calico Sky said...

Advent was really big in my household and Church growing up! What lovely new traditions you are making!

Handwoven Dreams said...

We started this tradition this year also! I was introduced to it last year at church and am so excited about doing it at home also!