Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sisters...and other random thoughts




I always wanted a sister growing up...I have one brother, 3 years younger. I even cried the day he was born, and stated, "I didn't want an Alan, I wanted a Jennifer!" My poor brother had to put up with me dressing him up, and role playing in the skits I would put on for our parents, and more. We fought a lot growing up, too. It wasn't pretty. It was downright, violent! I even remember my mom locking us out of the house, so we could just go at each other in the back yard, in the rain! What fond childhood memories I have.
Even as an adult, I still wish I had a sister, or two, or three. My mom was visiting this weekend, and she shared that she has 88 cousins, and this is just on her mother's side! My grandmother was one of 17 children. Only a few decades later, and my children have no cousins on their mother's side of the family because my brother doesn't have any children. It's amazing how things change over time, isn't it? I find it sad that many americans now value materialism over children. I find it sad that they feel they just cannot afford another child, but they can afford 2 SUV's and a dream home. We had several family members visiting this weekend, and one of them made a comment that we are really pushing it with the 4 children that we have right now. He actually couldn't believe that we would ever consider even one more. He looked shocked! He has one child himself, but will probably never have another. Adoption is something he would never consider. Fostering? No way. My mom has been here for 3 days and tonight exclaimed that she is tired of babies.
Yes, it can get tiring caring for 2 babies, but it is not something I regret now that we have them. I realize often that our experiences really do have a lot to do with our beliefs. It's how we look at what we have that determines how we will experience it. I look at our foster babies, and children as precious gifts from the Lord. Others look at children as more of a burden and a hardship, not something to cherish. This motivates me even more to foster and adopt. I can't imagine anything more meaningful. I am so thankful for the children I have, biological, adopted, and foster, and I am so glad my girls have each other. I really believe having a sister is a special gift, and I remind my children of this often.


3 comments:

Teresa said...

way to go Mom and Dad! You are an inspiration to all! Love your girls!! we need to get together!!

frogglet said...

I love having sisters and I just wish we were closer. Ironically, I always wanted a brother.
I think that people think kids need a lot more than they do love and time can go along way. Designer clothes and gadgets are not what they are going to remember.

Frugal Trenches said...

It makes me so sad anyone could think or feel this way. They do not realize they are part of the problem and not the solution. Everyday I think of the 1000 faces and look around at my friends and family around me and know not even one of those children would find a home with them...