Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Reece's Rainbow

I have a friend who is currently considering adopting a child through Reece's Rainbow. They specialize in international adoption, specifically children with Down syndrome.

I have been working with children with special health care needs since 1998. I have worked with a handful of children with Down syndrome over those years. They became my favorite kids to work with after awhile. They were always happy, smiling, and loving. They brightened my day, and I came to the realization that parents with children with Down syndrome are truly blessed.

It can be challenging raising a child with Down syndrome. They can have attentional challenges, learning difficulties, and will need more care than a typically developing child. Parents must look into the future and find supportive resources out there for their adult child with Down syndrome at some point. But the blessings far outweigh the challenges. What I love about Reece's Rainbow is the fact that they focus internationally. Many of these children in eastern europe get moved to a mental hospital at the age of 4 if they are not adopted. That is where they will remain. They will not know the love of a family they so deserve. They will experience deprivation, and neglect, and most possibly, abuse. It is sad to see that happening, when here, in the US, there are resources, therapies, and so many options out there to assist these very special kids.
I look at their site often. I am amazed at how many sweet little faces there are there. Take a peek for yourself, and maybe, just possibly, you might see a face you will call your own.
http://www.reecesrainbow.com/waitingchildgallery.html

No comments: