Friday, May 6, 2011

Did you know???




If you make $50,000 a year, you are more financially "rich" than 99% of the world?


I have been reading a book that our church read recently called "The Hole in our Gospel" by Rich Stearns, who is the president of World Vision.


We have been sponsoring a child from Sri Lanka through World Vision for many years. She was 3 when we started, and she is now about 14. It has been fun to see her grow up.


This book is a must read for every christian. For me, it was so exciting to see our church go through this book. For some others, they had issues. I have been processing this for weeks now. I will talk more about this later, but for now I am still trying to sort out the way I feel about those that had issues about this. I know all christians are on different levels with their faith. I know some people grow at a faster pace than others, and others fall into a slower pace of spiritual growth, however, I don't believe it is right to stay there, but to look to scripture as a way to guide each aspect of our lives. If we don't like something the Bible says, or something a book says that comes from scripture, we need to ask ourselves why, and find out what is blocking us from the fullness of God's will in our lives, and ask how we can surrender to it.


I want more of God each day. Life is not easy. with God, life is so incredibly exciting, and He gives me hope and help in times that I need it. I would be lost without Him.


What is it that God is asking of me now? I pondered this the other day. There is so much more I could and should be doing. I have more financially than 99% of the world. That is heavy, and to whom much is given, much is expected. That would mean most of us. I look at my foster babies, and although I do look at it as a ministry, and a way to follow God's mandate to care for orphans in this country, I have been exceedingly and abundantly blessed through it. I've been to russia on a mission. I've adopted an orphan there. The thousands of orphans there still haunt me. I've been to China, I've adopted an orphan there, and my heart aches for every one left behind in both of these countries. Orphan care is something all christians should be a part of, so why are they ignoring them? If you have touched them, and have seen the emptiness and extreme sadness in their eyes, as I have, you could not turn away. I want to embrace them all, but I am only one. I know there is more I need to do...I will be on my knees, praying, fasting and asking the Lord what that is.

1 comment:

Scrappy quilter said...

This book was one of my favorite reads in 2010. I'm so glad that I read it. I gave it to a friend to read and she just returned it. I plan on re-reading it because there is just so much in the book. Hugs