Sunday, October 19, 2008

Am I in YOUR will???


There is a christian radio station here I love to listen to. They are commercial and advertising free, but occasionally they play a funny little christian related commercial. There was a new one on that made me laugh, however, it actually has a serious message attached.


It started off with organ music playing, then you realize there is a funeral going on. Then you hear some guy going "psst, psst" to the lady in front of him who is actually the widow of the man who died. The guy asks her (in the middle of the funeral ceremony, with organ music still playing in the background) if she knows if he might be mentioned in her husbands will? The widow politely asks if he knows her husband, and he states that no, he was just wondering if he might have been mentioned in his will because he is such a good person. He goes on to say that he pays his taxes on time, and other good deeds he has done. She then explains that the recipients of the will are only her husbands relatives. At this, the man starts talking in a very frustrated tone about why he cannot understand why noone ever puts him in their will, he just doesn't understand it, he is so good and everything!!


By the end of this I was laughing, but realized what a great example this is because there are so many people out there that truly believe that they are saved and will be going to heaven one day because they are basically a "good" person. I have talked to many people who believe this and it makes me sad! They truly do not know what the Bible really says about this.


It is really simple.


The Bible states in John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.


It is not "being good", or even "good works" that get us to God, and get us to heaven. It is coming to Jesus. It is repenting of our sins. It is acknowledging that He died for us. It is believing that he is our savior. Then we will be in God's "will", or eternal life, living with Him one day in heaven.

4 comments:

day by day said...

I LOVE this post, Michelle!!! You are right...so many people have the misconception that "good works" will bring them to Heaven. Some people that are very near and dear to me (including family) have this belief. So sad!

Michelle R Photography said...

I think that is a common misconception. I think we all want to KNOW FOR SURE if our friends and loved ones will be with us for eternity. Bravo to you for posting this!

Anonymous said...

Great post!!! AMEN!

Yankee Ridge Primitives said...

Hi Michelle,

Im just getting all of my info together for the swap and noticed I dont have your address. If youre still interested, please send to me at jenn_martino@yahoo.com