Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Being forced to get Swine flu vaccine

In addition to being a stay at home, homeschooling mom, I also work out of the home one day per week. I work in pediatrics as an Occupational therapy practitioer and I have been at this job for almost 13 years. I get to work with wonderful children who have special health care needs. I am at an offsite clinic from the hospital I work for, and just found out that my employer is requiring all employees to get the swine flu and regular flu vaccine this year. It is mandatory. It has never been mandatory in the past. I have never been one to get a flu vaccine, and those around me that do, always seem to be the ones I see get the flu. I am looking for information from people that may know of someone this has happened to. I don't like the idea of an employer mandating what I put into my body. I don't feel this is something that should be forced. The other hospital in my community is not mandating the vaccine, they are allowing all employees to make their own decision like it has always been. I have done some research and found that this is happening across the country, and healthcare employees are being forced to get the vaccine, or be fired. If I choose not to take the vaccine, I will be required to wear a mask at all times, for no less than 6 months. This will not be appropriate in the job I do.

I am hoping to find others who are in this position, so please email me if you know of anyone, or know anything about this topic. I also heard about a large group of nurses who's union filed a lawsuit for this exact reason. Any input or ideas will be greatly appreciated!!

5 comments:

day by day said...

Hey Michelle!

I am not sure where you live, but I was watching on TV last week that the state of NY is making this mandatory for ALL health care workers.
I understand where they are coming from, but I think it stinks. It is a new vaccine and I would not want to be part of the the first year or two newness of it. If it were me, I might just choose the mask...as awkward as that would be in your field, especially!!!
Let us know what you find out and decide to do!

Michelle said...

I did read about the state of NY. That is crazy. It stated that if the hospitals don't provide proof that all employees have had the vaccinations, they are fined.
The mask just will not work with what I do. So if I had a medical condition and could not take the vaccine, I would be required to wear a mask in a job where it is important that kids look at me, make eye contact, etc. The mask would be so distracting and scare some of the kids I work with. I am not sure how I am going to handle this yet.

frogglet said...

I would have a really hard time with that decision. I understand that this is a serious illness but the newness of this vaccine is scary. Who are they testing on pregnant woman, children and health care workers? I fortunately don't work in an area that will require it so there will not be so much pressure but still a tough one. Sorry I don't have any information that will help you.

Take Care,
Cora

Jill said...

I am so sorry to hear this Michelle. I do know that they are forcing employees at our local Children's Hosp to do it too. I was outraged when I saw that.......I would not want to be one of the first to get ANY vaccine! So much for free choice..
Keep your chin up and pray. I will be thinking of you...

Calico Sky said...

Hope the readings have been helpful! I'll keep praying!!