Thursday, October 8, 2009

Delicious Raw Pie!


Here is a recipe for the first raw pie I have ever made, it is delicious, and healthy, and best of all you know you are eating something that is a high nutrient food, feeding each cell of your body in ways that no other pie can do!


I brought this to a gathering with friends the other day, and it went over very well. I am going to make a strawberry one next, but here is the blueberry recipe we all loved:
Crust: 2 Cups raw nuts, (I used one cup pecans, and one cut walnuts)
1 cut dates, pitted
Put the raw nuts in a food processor until nuts are reduced to small crumbs. Add the dates, plus 1/4 tsp. salt and blend again until everything is fully blended. I also added about a tsp. of cinnamon to my crust mix.
Pour the mixture into a 9 inch pie plate, and use your hands to press them into the form of a pie crust. Put the pie crust in the freezer for about 15 min. This helps it become more firm and solid. This is just enough time to prepare the filling. There are countless variations on the ingredients you can use to make the crust, but the best place to start is with some kind of chewy dried fruit like dates, raisins, or figs.
Filling: This is quite simple, and requires 3 ingredients. 6 cups fresh fruit (such as blueberries, strawberries, cherries, peaches, apples, etc.)
2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
1 cup dates, soaked about 10 min.
Blueberry pie is the easiest to make because blueberries don't require any prep work. I use the organic blueberries from a farm we pick from nearby. I thawed and drained them first. For strawberries, and apples, you will need to cut them up, and cherries should be halved.
Put 2 cups of the fruit, the lemon juice, and the soaked dates (minus the water) into a blender, and blend until you have a smooth liquid. Put the remaining 4 cups of fruit into a large bowl, and pour the blended mixture over it. Mix it together.
Take your pie crust out of the freezer, and pour your fruit mixture into it. Spread around, and your pie is done!
You will love this, and never want to go back to lard crusted, sugar filled pies again!!!


2 comments:

Dalyn said...

I made a similar version right after I had yours because it was SOOOO good! I used Bing cherries. Yum! I also put a layer of "cream cheese" made from cashews, raw agave and water on the crust before I poured on the fruit. Decadent!

Country Whispers said...

I've never heard of such a pie but it sounds really good and easy! Thanks for sharing.