Monday, March 29, 2010

Baby C's story...

A few days before our newest foster child, baby C came home, my husband and I had a short conversation. I had this "feeling" (I think the feeling was that mother's intuition, or possibly God preparing me for what was to come) that we might be getting a "call" soon, as it had been a few months, and that usually doesn't happen. I asked him what we would do if we were called to take in another infant since we are licensed for two kids. (We initially got licensed for 2 under the age of 2 in case there was a sibling group that needed us). Well, we sort of looked at each other, and didn't know what to say. We really couldn't imagine things with another baby in the house. We decided to think about it, and talk the next day. The next day was a monday. I was sick in bed, missing work, and Jeff came in the room to tell me that we just got a call to take a newborn! I looked at him with a shocked look on my face, then plopped my head back down on my pillow and stared at the ceiling. After pondering this for about half an hour, I went out and asked Jeff what he said when they called. He just said he would talk to me and we would get back to them. He was actually considering it! This was shocking to me, as there was a time when he wouldn't consider starting foster care, after we adopted L from China, because she can be a handful at times, and there were many times we felt our plate was full just dealing with her tantrums and meltdowns. He then said I should call back to find out more information on this newborn (at this point, we didn't know if it was a boy or a girl). I called the guy that called us, and left a message. He never called back that day, so I assumed a home was found. On tuesday, late in the afternoon, Jeff asked me to try calling him again, to make sure he knew that we did try calling back. When I did this, the response I got was not what I expected! When I told him who I was he was so excited to hear back from us, and he said he didn't get my message and that he really needed us, and wanted to place this baby with us. I was shocked, to say the least. There was no way I could say no then. This man has wanted to place a baby with us for a couple years now. He knows we signed up for foster/adopt, and he had called us often in the past, before we were ready to take a placement. He gave our number to the assigned social worker, and she called us back with all the info. Baby C has siblings, all of which have been adopted. We don't know what will happen with baby C as of yet. Her parents are both involved, and it could be that they are going to get themselves together enough to parent her, or it could be that a relative will step forward, or she may need an adoptive family. It is so early on, we can't be sure of anything. So far, having two babies in the house has not been that difficult. I think God knew exactly what He was doing. Baby L sleeps through the night, and is becoming more and more independent every day. This was probably the earliest we would have ever felt okay with accepting another placement. So far so good. We are enjoying both baby girls, and the older girls are enjoying them too! We are blessed...

No comments: