Sunday, May 31, 2009

Lord help us!!!


See this little cutie pictured above?? She does not nap! She also prefers to go to bed around 10pm many nights. And, no it's not because I am filling her up on caffeine here at Starbucks, (that's an organic vanilla milk she's drinking), she just goes, and goes! We have not been blessed with children that nap! Miranda barely napped either, gave them up very early on. Lilyann has not really napped much since coming home with her from China! When we used to try to force the issue, she would scream so loud, that we decided it wasn't worth it-for her brain or ours! And, she didn't get tired throughout the day. Her bedtime is 8pm. We start getting ready a little earlier. She will usually fall asleep pretty quickly after a long, active day. Now, if for some reason she falls asleep in the car (which is the only time she does occasionally nap) and gets in a 20 min. nap, and we still put her to bed at her usual 8pm bed time, we are in for it! A nap of 15-20 min., will put her back at least 2 hrs! So, she squirms around, talks, cries, yells, plays around, or whatever for the next 2 hrs., sometimes more. There is no talking her into settling down. She just can't. So, if she is in the car during the day, running to appointment, and errands, and we happen to notice her nodding off in her carseat, we can be seen doing all kinds of crazy things to keep her awake! For awhile hispanic music playing really loud worked! All I had to do is crank that up, and she would perk right up and start clapping to the beat, trying very hard to open those heavy eyelids that just didn't want to open. Miranda and I would get a good laugh watching this. Lately, I have resorted to rolling down all the windows, singing loudly, and reaching back to tickle her toes. Not working. Jeff said his new tactic is that each time he sees her nodding off, he says, "Lilyann, do you want to go home and take a nap??" She immediately woke up, stating an adamant, "NO!". So, I will try this next time. Today was a busy day playing outside, on the trampoline, and in the pool, digging in the flowerbeds with mommy, helping daddy in the garden, and she was then in bed at 8pm, with of course, no nap today. It is now 9:45pm, and she is still awake! I am not sure why, and this should not be so. We just don't know what to do to get this little one to fall asleep at a decent hour that a little 2 yr. old should!
I'm exhausted! I really love taking a sunday afternoon nap, although rare! I didn't get one, and I really could have used one today, so I think I'm off to bed. Good night!

9 comments:

Wendi said...

I completely understand. Most of the time Megan takes a nap. It all depends on how late she sleeps in the morning. Unless she is completely wiped out she is not giving it up at night. We have started to put her down by 9 (or earlier is we can swing it) Her table lamp is left on and she is allowed to play in bed. Although she does get up to get what she wants to play with and gets back in bed. The rule is that if she is loud or coming out of her room then the light goes off and the door is closed all the way and it is sleep time. (She does not enjoy the door being shut all the way because she likes to be in bed and see us) There were a few rough nights when we started this, but now I can get an hour of peace most evenings. Now if only she would sleep in her bed all night! Good luck!

Tereasa said...

Oh dear, I have on like that! Sadly, he does like naps. If he gets the chance to sit still for too long, he'll fall asleep and won't wake up! I keep him outside all afternoon to keep him going and tire him out!

I'll be praying for you!!

plain*worker*primitives said...

I think your actually talking about MY child LOL! Jamie didn't take any naps after 2 yrs old...and now she stays up with us. Also, same thing.... everyone forget about going to sleep that night if she does happen to fall asleep after 2:30 in the afternoon. It's CRAZY! I have to come up with something because mine goes to school this fall!

My nephew (3)takes naps sometimes up until 5:30 or 6 at night, then goes right to sleep that night do you believe that?!?

Have a great week,
melissa

Dalyn said...

! Sorry. My kids were all good nappers *U*
COme play at the park on Wednesdays and see if she gets tired then!

jeanette said...

oh my! I do not know what I'd do without my kids napping..or at least resting each day. :)

Jeff's latest tactic of asking her if she wants to nap is hilarious! love it. :)

Rachie317 said...

Thanks for reading my blog - you absolutely qualify to comment! :) I know it sounds scary - but don't let it discourage you! Instead, gather lots of information about the risks and "trials" associated with foster parenting - I believe this is part of the key to being able to withstand them. The system is far from perfect - but you will ABSOLUTELY be making a difference in the life of a child by providing them with a safe, nurturing home! Feel free to come back and read more, or email me if you have questions/concerns/whatever. :) I'll be checking out your blog too - you look like such a great family!

Mashel said...

Hi, I just found your blog through Rachel's at "Eyes open wider" and the comment you left on her blog about thinking about foster care, but being scared about it. We are foster parents, and God has blessed us so incredibly through this experience. I would love to talk to you more about it, if you'd like. You can email me at Mashelhall@comcast.net. My blog is closed because of the pictures of foster children, but if you send me your email address, I can add you to the list so that you can read about our journey. Please don't feel discouraged... God will get you through the process if you really feel He is calling you to do it.

Debra said...

My daughter stopped napping early too. I was devestated! Do you put her down at 8 in her bed and she stays up until 10? We had a little of that and I just kept at it - I started actually putting her down earlier - about 7:30 and that worked after a while. I made sure the room was dark, except for the night light. A routine worked for us - bath, brush teeth, book, lights out - no tv at night since it could stimulate them (so I have heard). Even though they are up at 10 I am convinced they HAVE to be tired. Once we started putting her to bed at 7:30 she eventually started falling asleep early. I started doing this at about age 3 and she is now 7 & still goes to bed at 7:30 and usually is alseep before 8. She does get up early about 6:30 am.

I found a great book when I was trying to figure this out. "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Marc Weissbluth, MD. I highly recommend it.

Good Luck. It will get better. :)

Calico Sky said...

Don't know how I landed on this post but I'm glad I did. There are two books I've heard recommended

Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth, MD
AND
Sleepless in America

I have not read either.

One thing my parents did which I think is very wise and I will do with all my children, is when they stop napping still having quiet time every single afternoon, for example from 1:30-3. This lets their bodies relax, gives you a break. I used to make up boxes for each day of the week (quiet time boxes). Basically the gist is you have to stay in your room, on your bed, with the quiet games/books in your box. This can be done with older children as well. Quiet time can be for as little as an hour every day or as much as two hours, I know people who do both. The trick is to make it the same time each day, to make it joyous (certain toys only come out for quiet time) and for you to get a break!

Re bedtime, oddly enough when I moved my little guys bedtime forward to 7:15 (we would be upstairs by 6:45), they slept quicker. I think they were less tired so it was easier?

Very tough trying to figure out what is right for each child isn't it?