Sunday, January 3, 2010

Sunday Reflections...

I've been wanting to write a post like this on a Sunday for a few months now. Each Sunday brings me so much inspiration, and a time for me to reflect on the past week, and all that God is doing in my life and the lives of those around me. I want to use this post, and the upcoming posts on Sundays to reflect on what I have learned that week, that Sunday at church, or to just journal my thoughts about what I am seeing around me.

  • Today as I was worshipping at church I looked around and saw something that I saw for the first time a few weeks ago. At that moment, I was overcome with tears, and my heart was full. There is a young man who goes to my church now with his parents. He is around 18 yrs. old. I have known him and his family since he was very young, but they just started attending our church a few months ago. So, as I was worshipping, I looked over, and noticed this boy, as he was worshipping God. His hands were raised as the music played, and we were all singing our hearts out. The worship at our church is amazing, and the music is so good. As I watched this young man during worship, my heart was so touched, and the tears in my eyes began welling up. You see, this young man cannot talk, in fact, he is basically mute, so singing is not something he can just do. But, at that moment, I swear, it didn't matter. I could tell that he was singing with his heart, and he looked just like the rest of us. I used to have him on my caseload at work years ago for Occupational therapy. He has a genetic condition that is so rare, there is no name for it, as there is no one else in the world that has the exact condition he and his sister both have. At that time, communication was an issue, but it was something he was working on. I remember one night I had a dream, and in this dream, he was speaking! I didn't know if I should, but I ended up sharing this with his mom, and she was in tears. Oh, Lord, forgive me for taking for granted this voice you have given me. Most of my life I have complained about this voice, covering my ears if I hear myself recorded, but Lord, I take this moment to thank you now for the voice I was given, and the ability I have to sing, and praise you! This child I am talking about taught me an amazing thing just by who he is. I need to share this with his parents, as this boy has truly touched my heart in more ways than one! I hope his parents know that even though he cannot speak, he is speaking volumes to those around him as he is seen worshipping the Lord and singing praises to Him with his Whole heart!
  • Another thing that amazed me in church today was that the girl leading worship has been married only a few years and in the last year as her and her husband have been trying to start a family, she has lost all 3 of her babies. They were either born way too early, or stillborn. She has been through so much, so much loss and so much pain, but continues to trust and praise God through it all. So many people would lose thier faith through trials like that, but she has remained strong in her faith. Incredible.
  • The last thing that impressed me was something I heard early this morning as I was working out on the eliptical before church. I was watching a preacher on t.v., and one thing he said was that God talks to all of us, it's just that most people aren't listening. He was saying that when you pray, you do a lot of talking to God, but how much listening do you do when you are done? He reminded me to sit and listen for the answers we are waiting for, and also to make sure that we are daily in His word, because he will speak to us through His word.

Best wishes for a week of many blessings as you begin 2010!!!


4 comments:

L~ said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR FRIEND!!!

I watched Charles Stanley this morning too!!!! Or, Chuck as we affectionatly call him 'round here! :)
I keep telling my husband we're moving so we can attend Chuck's church! :)

I pray that this is a year of abundant blessings for you & your family & all the 'lil people that your faith touches through your fostering!
Keep being a "LIGHT" girlfriend!

XOXOL~

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Hi Michelle,

Your post brought tears to my eyes. How true....I talk to God alot and need to listen more! I have so much to be thankful for. Great post!

By the way, we have our fingerprinting appointment tomorrow for our I-800A! Yay!

Tammy

Anonymous said...

Wow. Thank you so much for sharing. You are so right about the Lord speaking to us through His word. I think where I struggle is what if you feel He is speaking to you about something, but He also needs to speak with someone else and they don't hear?

Michelle R Photography said...

A great post, Michelle!! Thanks for sharing!